Why Study Latin?
Latin study brings with it an impressive list of benefits. Click on each below to learn more.
- The Latin language itself is beautiful and foundational to our culture and history. For those in the West, Latin’s imprint and impact is so ubiquitous (a great Latin-derived word!), that to study it is to study our very selves.
- Since 60-75% (depending on who’s counting and how) of English words come from Latin roots, learn the roots and turbo-charge your acquisition of English vocabulary.
- Latin helps you gain grammar skills and understanding, which can be applied to English as well as foreign languages, especially the Romance language.
- Want to build brainpower? To study Latin is to become more observant, analytical, logical, and accurate in your thinking.
- Examining Roman history (the deeds of those ancients who first spoke the language) exposes students to moral, social, political, and economic lessons relevant to our own time. It’s a way to gain wisdom. As the saying goes, Those who don’t remember history….
- Latin students as a group score higher on the verbal portion of the SAT test than students of any other language. Yes, this is a rather crass appeal but the statistics bear it out!